Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Corn Free Foods

It would be easy to start with a rant about all the things we can't eat, but instead how about a list of what we can eat? You can eat "normal" foods when you're allergic to corn and soy, you just have to find the right sources for "safe" ingredients. Well, and you also have to make the time to prepare everything from scratch... I'm trying very hard to resist ranting about how long I spend cooking every day. Women used to do this all the time, right? Before McDonalds and frozen foods? My husband says I've gone back about a century or so. He'll really know I've left this century when I make my own butter. Thankfully I have a safe source of butter (Organic Valley) so I haven't had to go down that road (tortillas, bread, cheese, pickles, ketchup, and ice cream, yes. But not butter... yet.)

So here are some of ds8's dinner favorites:

homemade chicken nuggets
Aaron's chicken (from Trader Joe's)
breaded with matzo meal (any brand that's only wheat and water) and spices
fried in a little bit of canola oil (Spectrum is safe)

fish and chips
flounder filets from Costco (apparently they don't use corn in their packaging of fish)
breaded in matzo meal and spices
sprayed with canola oil (with a pump sprayer you fill yourself, not a storebought spray)
baked at 450 for 5-10 minutes
potatoes lightly coated with oil and roasted also at 450
homemade tarter sauce with Delois mayo (from Whole Foods), yogurt lemon juice

pasta with meat sauce
Laura's ground beef (in original packaging-from Acme)
**Amy's organic pasta sauce (used to be at WF but they stopped carrying it. I have seen it other places)
Bionaturae pasta (WF)

tacos
ground beef
**365 brand tomato paste (WF)
spices
safe lettuce, safe cheese, homemade flour tortillas

salmon cakes
canned salmon from WFs (unsalted, since salt often contains corn)
safe onion, celery, parsley, spices, an egg and some bread crumbs

**Just a note to add that we've since removed the tomato paste and Amy's sauce from our diet. I haven't yet determined whether there is corn in those items or if we are allergic to tomatoes. So try them at your own risk!

It all sounds very normal, doesn't it? And yummy, and did I mention healthy? My son tells me that's the silver lining to all this difficulty with food - we'll live longer since we eat so healthily! I admire his ability to remain positive, despite the fact that he can't eat any food not made by his parents.

No comments: