Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mmm - Dessert

We had some really good cookies today. Actually, my son took one look at them and said "that's not a cookie" but he had no objection to eating them anyway. The recipe (courtesy of the Queen of Butter and Cream, Nigella Lawson) called them Snickerdoodles but the cookies are ball shaped and look just like donut holes - taste like them too. Since I have yet to find a safe donut, and am totally unwilling to fry my own, these make a nice substitute.

Donut Hole Cookies

1 cup flour
2/3 cup white whole wheat flour (my addition, Nigella calls for all white flour)
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Mix and set aside while you cream 1/2 cup butter (at room temp) with 1/3 cup sugar.

Then beat in 1 egg and 1 t vanilla (homemade from potato vodka, of course).

Add wet to dry and mix well (I used my hands.)

Roll into balls - Nigella says the size of a walnut. Now, if you make them the size of a walnut with its shell, they are way too big and only make about 10 cookies (the recipe says it'll make 32.) So I wound up making them about 3/4 of an inch in diameter and that seemed about right. I still don't know exactly what sort of walnut Nigella meant. Maybe using whole wheat made the dough more compact?

Roll balls in cinnamon sugar and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.


This is way more butter than I'd usually use (maybe I'll substitute some apple butter next time) but I needed something to feed kids who are used to "normal" food. I literally didn't have one thing in the house that I thought a "regular kid" would put in their mouth. Plus it needed to be pretty fast since it was almost snack time. This recipe fit the criteria and everyone who tried them has really liked them.

Hmmm, writing about them makes me want some more. Excuse me...

No comments: